“Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18). Just a reminder that I’m not getting too confident here! But I think I may be on the road to success in my quest for a tank. The first step was to fool the Gauge Demon. I decided to start from scratch by picking out a pattern I really liked, regardless of gauge (well, as long as it was close to recommended gauge for the yarn). I selected the tank from the Thorn and Thistle set from the current Interweave Knits. It has nice, slimming lines and offers a little more coverage than the average tank. The gauge was 5 stitches to the inch. Then, I did a gauge swatch with the size needles (4) that I felt gave a nice fabric. I got 6 stitches to the inch. Next, I looked at the pattern and found the size that, given MY gauge, would give me the closest desired measurement. I deduced that by using the directions for the 49 1/2″ size, with MY gauge, I would get a measurement of 41 1/2″. That gives me about 1 1/2″ ease – what I think is comfortable. And, for a change, once I started the actual knitting, my gauge remainded the same. Ok, enough talking – time to step up with proof:
I’m pretty happy with the results! My only worry is how it will fit. The measurements sound ok, but I’m not familiar with how cotton drapes on the body. Also, most tanks I have seen recommend “negative ease”. Well, I’m not a negative ease kind of gal! Time will tell.
This will probably be the last progress I’ll have for at least a week or so. This weekend my husband and I are heading off to a car show in Vancouver, Canada. We’re taking his Mini Cooper, so space is quite limited and I will be taking some socks and Peacock Feathers. When we return, I need to dedicate next week to finishing up my course on Early Childhood Development, then freedom for the summer!!
I leave you with some pictures of our gorgeous rhododendrons: